History of Magadi

The history of Magadi, Bangalore dates back to the year 1638, when Kempe Gowda, a chieftain of Yelahanka (now called Bangalore), was forced to leave his land. Kempe Gowda moved to Magadi, which he made as his new headquarters. It was Kempe Gowda who discovered Bangalore and called it "Benda-cal-ooru" which means 'where he cooked his beans'. However, after the British invaded India, they began to call it Bangalore. The locals still call it 'Bengalooru' and Kempe Gowda is now regarded as the person who established the city of Bangalore in 1537. He constructed four towers that surround the city. Besides this, he also constructed several monuments here, which includes the famous Nandi Temple.

It was at Magadi, Bangalore where Kempe Gowda's family members constructed Rameshwara temple and the fort. You will also find the Someshwara temple there with its fading wall paintings. There is a hill called Tirumale near Magadi, which features a large temple called the Ranganatha Temple. The deity worshipped here is Srinivasa.

Ranganathaswamy Temple, Tirumale

Ranganathaswamy temple is also built in an elevated placed called Swarnadri Parvata. The area in which this temple is situated is called "Tirumale". There is a vast Prakara with a gateway having tall Rajagopura. The Garbhagriha has a Dravida Shikhara having later Vijayanagara workmanship. The main deity though called Ranganatha is actually a standing image of Narayana in Vijayanagara style with Shankha, Chakra, Gada and Abhaya attributes in four hands. The main deity is traditionally believed to be installed by Mandavya Rishi. In front of the Ardhamantapa is a spacious Navaranga having square later Vijayanagara pillars.

 

Home | About Trust | Objectives | Photo Gallery | Contact Us
Copyright © 2011-12. All Rights are Reserved for Sri Ranga Seva Trust®